Monday, June 13, 2011

Barcelona

Well, it seems I should give a nice little report about my very short time spent in Barcelona! I was there less than 36 hours but definitely think I made the most of the short time I had. I'd love to return and see everything that I couldn't later in the summer... but I think I definitely need to prioritize seeing other cities first.

So Saturday morning I jumped on a plane for a 50-minute ride to Barcelona, and met up with Alan and his fellow euro tour friend Ankit at our hostel by 1. We immediately left and walked around the city all day, seeing La Rambla, a huge market, and sat on a pier at one of the ports for a while. Afterwards we hunted for a "magic fountain" that I completely thought Alan was making up, until finally we found it. However, the search led us to see another part of the city - the very upscale part - and that was cool. And once we did find the fountain, it was ridiculous. A huge fountain that lights up and does a kind of "routine" to music at night. I will post pics because it probably sounds unbelievably LAME. By the time that it was over, it was time to meet other neighbors Andy and Adrian (so. many. A's.) at our hostel. We then we out for the night, getting really good Doner(?) and then going to a few bars. We ended up hanging out at the protests for a while before taking a taxi (OR TWO, OR THREE) back to the hostel. Slight mishap with a taxi driver that led to a very difficult journey back to the hostel for a couple of us, but we made it back alive and with a good story to tell! Oh jeez.

So, with very little sleep... the 5 of us ventured out Sunday and went to the part of the city where the Olympics were held, which was cool and pretty. Afterwards we went on a walking tour that was about Gaudi's work in Barcelona - ending at the Sagrada Familia. I wasn't able to go inside - sorry Jane! - because of the very very long line and there just wasn't enough time. Having a tour guide from the exterior to be able to explain a lot of it was very helpful, though, and it was an amazing sight to see. Truly incomprehensible. By then it was almost 8 - so we ate at a not-so-Spanish and probably not up to any kind of health codes restaurant and afterwards I hopped on the train back to the airport. By 2 AM I was sweeping in my wittle bed.

Overall, I'm really glad I went. Barcelona is very different from Madrid - in good and bad ways. But I think the biggest difference was lack of security I felt in Barcelona. I was very happy to be traveling with a group of people - I mean who's going to mug me when I'm with Alan? - and so that was great. The concentration of tourists in the city was also quite ridiculous, something I have been accustomed to not having to deal with now that I'm settled in Madrid. However, Barcelona has a lot more historically interesting sights to see, and it was really really beautiful the way it is a coastal town. I really would have liked to see so much more.

A few pics
Market right off La Rambla

The pier where we watched cruise ships come in for a while.

Alright obviously this picture doesn't do it justice, but this was the start to the "Magic Fountain"

Looking up from the opposite direction of the previous picture

Cheesin' from the top of the stairs

No one's poses are okay. At the time this blue screen of death was obviously very entertaining.

Without the fountains running! On our way to the Olympics site.

So this is the Olympic area.


Gaudi's work! Crazy architecture.

The unfinished La Sagrada Familia

Otherside. Buidling which is only going to get way bigger.



So that's about it! I started another work week today, as we are preparing for World Refugee Day which is next Monday. The campaign that is translated as "Put yourself in a refugee's shoes" launches then, represented by this site: http://ensuszapatos.es/. I know most of you don't understand Spanish but just the site itself is kind of fun.

Just got home from Sangria and tapas with the roomies. Spain is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment