Monday, July 18, 2011

First big regret

Since arriving here, I told myself that I could not stomach a bullfight. After spending almost 2 months in Spain, my open-mindedness led me to believe that going to see a bullfight would be a good, cultural experience. Unfortunately, this was totally wrong. Because I didn't have a thing to do last night I agreed to join in, spontaneously because I was bored. Tickets only cost us 5 euro, so it was like "what do we have to lose?"

As soon as it began I immediately knew I wasn't going to like it. I guess I can't really describe it, but the entire time I had a horrible lump in my throat. Pretty much, the bulls come out one by one, and are tortured for 20ish minutes, then killed. They are stabbed repeatedly, and then when they are at their weakest point, the madator takes a giant sword and sticks it in between its shoulder blades. After this, you watch as the bull slowly crumples to the ground. Eventually it falls, flails once in the air, and then everyone cheers and its paraded out of the stadium by three horses. Needless to say, I found it extremely disturbing. After the second bull, who we had to watch attack the madator and knock him to the ground 2 separate times, we left. All three of us couldn't understand a) how this is legal b) how no one else seemed affected by it than us. We all left pretty shaken.

When I got home,  I talked to my Spanish roommates about it who also agreed that it is a pretty disturbing practice. However, we did agree that the "dance" that the madator does with the bulls is quite beautiful. I also told them that I can appreciate Spanish culture and that it is different than what I am used to... however, it was a huge mistake to go. I feel sick just thinking about it again!

On a brighter note...! My week and weekend in Madrid was great. Intercambio Tuesday, some botellon Wednesday, and Thursday we met Glenn in the park next to my apartment and had a picnic. Friday and Saturday was just more hanging out in the city. And after the event on Sunday, we cheered ourselves up by going to the bar and watching the soccer games. Haha and then the USA lost! (everyone at the bar we were at was cheering against us) But anway, It was nice not travel anywhere this weekend and have some time to just chill and relax.

I also had the great opportunity to see the US Embassy!  Picture: the secretary of state with a worse wait and more annoyed people. I guess it is time to admit that I lost my passport when I was in Valencia. I believe that it was stolen from me, but I had all of my other belongings, money, camera.... everything BUT my passport Sunday morning when I was leaving. I spent all Wednesday morning waiting for my "appointment" to get a new passport. I pictured the embassy MUCH differently, but it is very unglamorous and I felt like I was waiting in some kind of emergency room. I ended up being shuffled from line to line for three hours, but I did leave with a 3-month passport in hand. When I get back to the states, I don't have to pay again when I apply for a new 10-year passport, but still... it sucks. I have certainly learned my lesson, I guess, but I don't really know what that is because my passport was LOCKED in my locker the entire time I was in Valencia. It just doesn't add up.

This week I am bringing someone along to my intercambio with Laura because she is bringing her friend who is from Madrid. Her Spanish is so clear and easy to understand that she decided what I really need to practice is listening to him speak.... which is very true. I also think we are having a big roomie dinner at the apartment before Kristin finally leaves for home. And then, Friday I go to Portugal!

I'm off to the grocery store and then a siesta may be in order :) 

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth,
    Thanks for sharing your bull fight experience with all of us, however disturbing it may be. It was not that long ago that we allowed dog fighting and other brutish things here...and don't forget our love of Boxing (Every other Saturday night on HBO) or Professional Boxing which still has a large following.
    I loved your comment about the Embassy being like visiting the Secretary of State; well of course it is, the Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, oversees all the Embassies. :-)

    So, lets try to Skype later tonight and bring it Phil & Marianne for Phil's 24th Birthday.
    Love You.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete