Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer Jamz

My blog is boring. I realize all I do is report on the places I have visited, which I'm sure is SUPER FUN to read about, but it was not how I imagined this thing. I also really like the fact that it is my way of keeping track of my trip. Blogging is not really a chore at all, its just a way for me to sit down and remember everything so I don't forget. Anyway, I am going to be posting more about my life here, in Madrid, as much as I can in the next three weeks.

Given that this is a blagh, I can talk about music, right? To me, it seems extremely appropriate to try and communicate sentiments while being here. Maybe that doesn't make sense to anyone else, or maaaybe this can expose a part of myself that makes this trip easier to understand. I am constantly listening to music, which I guess is just the same back at home, but when that certain song comes on at just the right moment there's something to be said for a real connection to what you are listening to. Here there have been certain songs, albums, artists, whatever that have gotten me through a lot of ups and downs.



So, to start, this is the go-to feeling homesick, what the hell am I doing here, oh god my life is falling apart, song to try and gain some sanity again. Sappy, but in an obvious way. So that's my excuse.




NPR reviewed this song as, "the song everyone in their 20s must listen to". Extremely true. Its just about figuring out how to figure out what you are supposed to do with your life. The whole album is pretty incredible, especially in the morning on the way to work.



Being how quirky and different this city is, this one is one of those walking through the streets songs where I think Im cool for like 3 minutes (Then I usually trip and realize I still will never fit in).



 
I listened to this album and especially this song a ton last summer, but it hasn't held any significance until now.



 
This whole album continues to be a traveling favorite. Its super Americana sounding, and also is about traveling across the US... but, traveling none the less. This is by far the best song on the album. I've have turned in on for many long bus rides.



And, of course. Justin Vernon, the singer, said this, and I think it really says it all:
 "Holocene is a bar in Portland, Ore., but it's also the name of a geologic era, an epoch if you will. It's a good example of how all the songs are all meant to come together as this idea that places are times and people are places and times are... people? [Laughs.] They can all be different and the same at the same time. Most of our lives feel like these epochs. That's kind of what that song's about. "Once I knew I was not magnificent." Our lives feel like these epochs, but really we are dust in the wind. But I think there's a significance in that insignificance that I was trying to look at in that song."
OH MAN he's sooooo chill. But seriously, what a perfect song.


So there you go. A little peek into Liz. There are countless others I could include, but I'm tired. Tomorrow I shall update about this past week and my trip to Segovia earlier today.

Look I'm being fun!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment