Sunday, August 7, 2011

el Sierra

Laura, the Spanish Laura, had been talking about "el Sierra" for a few weeks now, but I never really understood why she she seemed so eager to take me there.  I was a little hesitant at first to go... it's outside of the city, and we had to drive about 40 minutes to get there. But, I gave in, and Wednesday her husband picked us up outside of the metro near my apartment. Raquel, who had been joining us the past few weeks, came along too, so the 4 of us hopped in Jesus' car (her hubby) Wednesday evening. I don't know what I had to worry about. Even though technically we were supposed to be speaking in English and Spanish, I was able to talk Spanish with them practically the whole time, and even though I'm some 20-year-old American who they barely know, they acted like we had been long time friends. Laura, especially, is so nice to me. She has been like some kind of mentor to me while I've been here.

Anyway, we left the city and began the climb through the mountains. And ohh my god, I soon realized why we went. We were so isolated and it was so calm, but still we hadn't left "Madrid." How it was possible, I don't know. After an hour or so of driving through a mountain, we arrived at what seemed like the other side where it was low again. There is a swimming area there, which felt much more like a swimming hole than a lake. It was freezing! But it felt like I was swimming in the cleanest, purest water ever.

We walked back to the car after a while of swimming and laying by the water, and then headed to a small town called Miraflores ("look at the flowers") on the other side of the mountain facing Madrid. We had Morcilla, which is a very famous blood sausage from northern spain, and some other tapas, then finally headed home about midnight. Of course I was exhausted, but eating at 11 pm and getting home at 1 is nothing to these Spaniards. I think it might be my favorite night I've spent here.

Jesus and Laura at our first pit stop

Let there be light!

driving through the mountains....

Then... this. 

Watering hole place?

From the other side

Agua muy fria

Stopped for the sunset on the way back.

beaaaaaaauty

Outskirts of Madrid in thee distance

Miraflores, where we stopped for dinner


On Thursday roommate Laura arrived back in Madrid for a few days. It has been really wonderful seeing her again and having someone else at the piso, since Etor is gone this weekend. We went out Thursday night for drinks, and made a huge brunch this morning with a couple of her friends.

Friday, I offered up my kitchen for TJ and his visiting friends to come make dinner and hang out, knowing how expensive it is to eat out for a lot of meals in Madrid. Luckily they took me up on the offer and we made a huge meal together Friday. At one point TJ and I heard some strange sounds from the street, and when we looked out the window from 5 stories up, we found Glenn and his friend were just yelling our names until they figured out which apartment was mine. So, they came and joined as well. I had to get up super early Saturday morning, though, because I was headed to Granada

Tomorrow, I'll finish posting about that trip and put up pictures. For now, I'm off to bed. A week from tomorrow is a national holiday, so I think this is my very last Monday at work. Ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment