Monday, August 15, 2011

It's Ending

Yesterday was my last lazy Sunday in Madrid. Today is my last unbearably hot Monday in Madrid. This same pattern of nostalgia is going to continue until I leave... in SIX DAYS. I can't really say reality is starting to set in, because it's just hasn't yet. I haven't accepted the fact that I am leaving Madrid, possibly never to return again. I still think that I am going to be shopping at the same Dia in next week, that I am going to be taking my same metro to and from work like usual, or that I will continue to be able to meet friends "for a drink" whenever I want (long 4 months ahead before that I actually true). I have been back and forth all summer about whether or not I am happy to be going home or ready to stay here forever. And with 6 days left, I'm still confused. I think that if I was really, really excited to go home, it would be an alarming sign that I couldn't bear to stay here any longer. And if I was really, really terribly sad to be going home, I would also be in a bad position. The middle ground I (possibly) have is maybe a good thing.

As far as leaving Madrid, and not ever living here again, that is quite saddening. I have come to the conclusion that I really love this city. For so many little reasons and big reasons. I now know that I must see other European cities to see how they compare to Madrid. If it's just the European city thing that I am drawn to, or if Madrid is unique.

I'm pretty tired of saying so many goodbyes at this point, too. I had to say goodbye to Laura this week, and it was really sad. We spent an evening with Jesus and Raquel at a park in the north part of the city, and then at a restaurant with traditional food from where she is from in Spain, San Sebatian. The food was actually traditional Basque Country cuisine. One of the best parts of spending time with her was getting to do things I would have never done on my own. I know we will keep in touch, and they have plans to travel to the US... so maybe I will see her in the States.

The only big goodbyes I have to endure now are my work and Etor. Etor made Canadian pancakes for breakfast yesterday morning because his friend from Canada brought him maple syrup. One of those things I never realized would be so exotic to a Spaniard, but he had never had pancakes before, let alone make them. They were really good.

On Friday I went with a couple others to Salamanca, a University town about 3 hours from Madrid. We stayed at this really cheap hostel with 20 beds in every room, and absolutely zero amenities, but it ended up working out great and we met some great people there. On Saturday we walked around the beaaautiful city and then were back in Madrid by that evening. Again, I have some great pictures but I have no room to put them on my computer right now.  

Today is a holiday in Madrid called Virgen de la Paloma, so I am off work. There has been a huge celebration in the a neighborhood called La Latina all weekend, and the only way I can describe it would be to say its the American version of a county fair, but put into the streets of a small neighborhood in a city. We've gone the past two nights, just to hang out there (possibly also taking part in the outdoor discoteca...), and the thing that is so different feeling is that there aren't any tourists. But the streets are just jammed with people eating from the huge outdoor bbq's and botelloning in the streets. I want to put up pictures but my computer is completely full. Anyway, this festival has been a fun way to spend my last real weekend here, because its a way to see Madrid's own culture and traditions (the traditional dressed up people look like they are wearing lederhosen...), and take part in something where I can almost feel like a MadrileƱa (I most certainly am not.)

Anna, one of the other few CDS participants who has been in Mallorca, is back in Madrid for a couple days. It's been nice to see her again and have someone to talk to about our internships. Tonight we are making dinner at my apartment with TJ. We should be on a CDS commercial....

Tomorrow I'm back to work, and Friday I'll be done there for good. I truly don't think "reality will set in" until I'm leaving my office for the last time.



2 comments:

  1. Hi, Liz!
    It sound like your last days in Madrid could be described as "bittersweet." I know that's how I felt each time I had to leave Germany.
    You mention that you might never return to Madrid ... perhaps we can chat this fall about teaching English in Spain post-graduation? :-) Enjoy your last days and good luck packing!
    Best,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a chat about such a subject :) Thanks for all of your help, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete